ABOUT STILL LIFE


A TYPICAL MORANDI STILL LIFE WORK  WITH THE OBJECTS BOUND TIGHT TOGETHER

ABOUT STILL LIFE 

The Still Life, in German called Still-leben that means quiet life and in french Nature Morte that means dead nature, is an art form that reproduces objects at rest, often exhibitions of everyday objects. Digging into this subject while I went to visual art school in my first year of specialization I ended up with an awakening and interest for the still life and the opportunities it behold to express more than only the objects shape and form.

One of my favorites artist I discovered while studying this subject is Morandi an Italian artist from Bologna.He worked a hole life only with this subject. The expression of his works stands out and  are the reason for his place in art history I believe. When I also read his family history my interests and knowledge of this art form strengthen. He lived with his three sisters and family all his life, never left his family holdings almost to a claustrophobic extend. This emotion is very strongly expressed, I believe, in his pictures where the objects are hold very tight together. The psychology of a painters heart expressed through his still life modelings, arrangements of objects and his observations of the objects opportunities.

Another distinguished artist approach to the work of Still Life  widely known for his colorful works depicting commonplace objects, specially pastries, is Wayne Thibaud. I see his objects displayed as marching soldiers where all emotions are removed from the paintings expression.The space between objects expresses a lot, something I try to use with conscious when I work with my art.

WAYNE THIBAUD DISPLAY OF OBJECTS
Last, the way they are painted, the choice of equipment to paint or draw, like colours or just a simple pencil can attract an observers attention. I am very fond of the masculine black and white drawings of Richard Diebenkorn. Also his choice of objects to display is very interesting and I have been very inspired by his work in my latest art project.

RICHARD DIEBENKORN - BLACK AND WHITE DRAWING

I have worked with a series of simple pencil drawings for a half year. Drawn like a diary every day the everyday objects I am surrounded by in my home. I have been and are still very interested in the size of a work, what this expresses. A small drawing vs a huge painting. The whisper and the scream.This are some of the significant issues I use and are aware of when I have worked with my Still Life series. All the work have in common the equipment, which is pencil drawings, and the size, which is A5.

Still the objects purpose and approach is different. I have therefore decided to present the work through a series of blog post organized under different narrative headers put into a context. Only a selection of the drawings will be exhibited, the best and the most interesting according to my intention. There are really many of them. Later I hope to translate some of this work into several huge canvas . To be continued ............ 

By the way. The header of this blog with tea cup drawings is a sneek peak to my work.





















Popular Posts